The Guardianship, Power of Attorney, and Advance Directives Committee is responsible for the study of and preparation of proposed reforms of existing guardianship and mental health statutes. It is also responsible for monitoring legislative and case law developments relating to the care and protection of the person and property of individuals physically or mentally incapable of caring for themselves.
If you are interested in joining the Committee, please contact any of the Chairs.
The Committee’s next meeting is scheduled to be held via Zoom & In-Person on June 3, 2021 from 1:30-3:00pm at the Marco Island JW Marriott in the Coconut & Sabal Ballroom.
Meeting Code: 983-7539-8265
The Committee is actively working on the following projects:
- Assisting with implementation of the initiatives raised in the Judicial Management Council Guardianship Workgroup Final Report
- Addressing access to tenancy by the entireties accounts for necessary expenses of a guardianship ward.
- Payment of Court Appointed Counsel's fee in good faith cases where no guardianship is established
- Communications between Judges and the Court Clerk in guardianship accounting actions
- Procedures for objecting to a suggestion of capacity – Fla. Stat. § 744.464
- Matters relating to the Office of Public and Professional Guardian
- Approval of fees paid to guardians and counsel for guardians
- The use of alternative dispute resolution procedures in guardianship proceeding
- The implementation of procedures for a guardian's use of Do-Not-Resuscitate Orders.
The Committee’s current officers are:
Johnson, Pope, Bokor, Ruppel & Burns, LLP
Stacy Beth Rubel
The Virgil Law Firm