Committee Leaders: Jeffrey S. Goethe (Chair), Melissa J. Murphy (Co-Vice Chair, Real Estate), Jeffrey A. Baskies (Co-Vice Chair, Probate and Trust), Michael J. Gelfand (Co-Vice Chair, Real Estate), Amy Beller (Co-Vice Chair, Probate and Trust)
Next Meeting: The next committee meeting is scheduled for:
November 3 – November 7, 2021
Executive Council Meeting
Luminary Hotel & Co.
Fort Myers, FL
Meeting Highlights will include:
- Status report on pending appeals involving homestead issues
- Are there remedies to challenge the lien for an unintentional, but allegedly improper claim, of homestead exemption?
- Does homeowner's insurance protect heirs who inherit through ladybird deeds, trusts, and estates?
- Is a new homestead application required after a transfer to the owner's revocable trust?
- Open discussion on homestead issues facing estate planning, probate, trust, and real property attorneys.
Committee CLE: Members of the Homestead Committee have shared their experience in a series of webinars that will provide up-to-date coverage of homestead issues faced by estate planners, trust and estate administration attorneys, and real estate attorneys.
The individual sessions can be purchased through the Florida Bar Order Here!
Current Projects: Please refer to the Committee Projects and the Agendas and Minutes tabs to the right.
Committee Membership: The membership of the committee is limited to RPPTL Section members appointed by the Section's Executive Council. Guests are welcome to attend committee meetings, but may not vote. Only committee members will be permitted to participate in committee deliberations.
Mission: The mission of the Homestead Issues Study Committee is to review current issues relating to the homestead laws in Florida and work to continually improve those laws for the residents of this state. In furtherance of that mission, the committee continually reviews Florida statutes and developing case law and provides a forum for the discussion of those current legal issues. Through these discussions, the Committee proposes legislation to fill gaps in or improve Florida law for consideration by the Section's Executive Council. As appropriate, the Committee makes recommendations to the Florida Probate Rules Committee.